UPDATE: This site is now retired and functions as an archive.
I (Daniel Boud) started Boudist in 2003, not knowing what it would become. I still don’t.
It’s primarily a place for me to share photos i’ve taken. It used to be my only personal publishing output, but as i’ve evolved and the internet has too i have a presence in all sorts of places. A portfolio, tumblr, facebook, instagram and other places i’ve since forgotten.
In 2003 I was a web designer with a passing interest in photography. Ten years later that interest has grown into a full blown obsession and a full-time photography career.
My main job is Chief Photographer for Time Out Sydney.
I’m available for freelance work.
I live in Sydney, Australia.
I look like the guy in these photos.
I love taking pictures. I’ve been doing it since I was a kid but it’s not something I took seriously until I bought my first digital camera. That was just a simple Canon Ixus V, but I used it almost every day, snapping ordinary things in my life.
I love seeing live music so would take my camera along and shoot pictures from the crowd.
I upgraded to a Canon 350D in March 2005 on a trip to Austin for SXSW. I wangled myself a media pass and shot dozens of gigs. SPIN and Rolling Stone magazine found some of my SXSW photos online and asked to publish them.
I’ve since been published again in SPIN and Rolling Stone plus other press including NME, The Sydney Morning Herald, Dazed and Confused, Nylon and dozens more. I used to work a lot for Drum Media and Mess and Noise.
I now shoot a wide range of things from portraits, to events, food and whatever else comes my way. But i still retain a love for shooting musicians in action on and off the stage.
Organisations i’ve been commissioned by include Sydney Festival, Foxtel, Vivid Sydney, EMI, Laneway Festival, Destination NSW, General Pants, Sydney Opera House, MTV, University of Sydney and many more.
I’m represented by Sarah Ewing Agency.
My photography gear
The most common question i get asked is “what camera/lens do you use?” I don’t think it matters a great deal, but if you’re curious, this is what i have in my kit.
- Canon 5D Mark III
- Canon 5D Mark II
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II
- Canon 50mm f1.2
- Canon 85mm f1.8
- Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS
- Canon Speedlite 580ex II
- Canon Speedlite 600ex
- Crumpler Cork and Fork
- Thinktank Retrospective 30
I have a Multiblitz studio lighting kit and hire other gear as necessary.
The Tech Specs
Hosting is by Dreamhost.
You can also find me at:
Awards, gallery shows and conference speaking
- Finalist in the National Photographic Portrait Prize and exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery, Canberra, 2012
- The Hills Are Alive! photo exhibition at Urban Uprising Gallery, 2010
- Finalist in the QANTAS Spirit of Youth Awards, 2010
- Chosen as one the Australian music industry’s Top 30 Under 30 by The Music Network, 2010
- Shortlisted in the Head On Portrait Prize, 2010
- Covers, an exhibition of music magazine covers at Mart Gallery, Sydney, 2010
- On the judging panel for the Festival Awards Photo Award, 2009
- Finalist in the QANTAS Spirit of Youth Awards, 2009
- Exhibited at the Getty Images Gallery Flickr Collection, London, 2009
- Named a Creative Catalyst by Creative Sydney, 2009
- Group exhibition with Greedy Hen and Kareena Zerefos at The Wall, Sydney, 2009
- Keynote speaker with Tony Mott at UnderExposed, Brisbane, 2009
- Semi-finalist in the Moran Portrait Prize, Australia, 2008
- If Something Has to Change at Shotgun Space, Los Angeles, 2007
- Speaker at Symposia, Wagga Wagga, 2007
- Speaker at Sound Summit, Newcastle, 2006
- 3 Songs. No Flash. at China Heights, Sydney, 2006
- Interview in InFocus Magazine, 2013
- Profile in Digital Photography Magazine, 2012
- 5 photos explained in Pedestrian, 2010
- The Accidental Magician in Side Street Sydney, 2010
- Interview and slideshow in The Vine, 2009
- Inspiration key to our artscape’s architects in Sydney Morning Herald, 2009
- A profile with Cybele Malinowski in Kluster. 2009
- A tv appearance on Cybershack. 2009
- An interview at Design Federation. 2008
- Concert Photography Masterclass, Digital Photographer Magazine. 2007
- An interview at JPG Magazine. 2006
- Heroes of Social Networking, PC Mag. 2006